Sunday 27 December 2009

Red Mars


Kim Stanley Robinson is an American author born in 1952. His Mars trilogy won several science fiction awards: Red Mars won Nebula and British SF awards in 1993, Green Mars won Hugo and Locus awards in 1994 et Blue Mars won Hugo and Locus awards in 1997. Therefore, I was rather confident when I bought Red Mars.

It does not start very well because the first part, which describes festivities in an immense transparent bubble that protects the first city built on the surface of Mars, is confused and unconvincing. There are conflicts between the different minorities living there. But I was relieved when I understood that this was probably the end of the story, because the second part starts the story from the beginning. However, I found the description of the difficult relationships between the first 100 explorers leaving for Mars (fifty men and fifty women: thirty-five Americans, thirty-five Russians and thirty others from different nations) uninteresting and anachronistic. I stopped at page 72 (out of 663).

My mark : -1/4 (could not read)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment